Sunday, July 16, 2006

This is Sunday Dinner.

a recent trend at my house has been the coming together of three women (with very different schedules) on a Sunday Evening. Typically as a house, we are just ships passing in the morning. Long enough to say, "Laura, you're cat is dead...and change the kitty litter" but short enough to avoid saying, "I kinda miss ya."

So when this Sunday brought about a delicious homemade dinner with all of us in the house, with the night off to do NOTHING, I was pleasantly surprised. Although, the chaos that typical ensues when we all get together and attempt to create a half edible meal is sometimes a lot more tedious than one would think. Here's a walk through.

I, the most vocal about the quality of the meal, tend to boss the others around, whilst sitting upon my kitchen stool. You see, everything in a complete meal has to be timed perfectly. So that the eggs arent cold waiting for the toast and the rice isnt hard while we flip the salmon. Nothing stresses me out more than unpunctual dinner items.

Now..Kate is entirely the opposite. She is a bit of a hippie when it comes to eating. Everything is vegetably and green. she is laid back, yet passionate about her views on food. Actually the only person I have ever met who hates peanut butter. So tonite, when we tried to collaborate on our salmon steak feast, it went something like this,

Me: Kate, I don't you should do the beans yet..its still preheating and the meat takes at least 40 min. okay?
Kate: I hate you.

little laura is quite a conformist in the kitchen. She dislikes arguing and tension about food so even though she hates and/or is severly allergic to seafood, if we make salmon, she gushes through the hives breakout and will claim its "sooo tasty!"

Kate and I: Laura, set the table.
Laura: Ummm no, I am trying to bandage my arm up from the oven's third degree burns.
Kate and I: set it or I will throw you in the oven to die
Laura: this bandage is more of a blanket anyways...

After the constant fighting, the death threats and the mini food fight in berry form we set out to eat outside our gourmet meal that left the three of us not speaking.

But Suddenly, a puma-like cat appeared and it was enough to break the Sunday Dinner tension: we laughed as we tried to feed it lemons to envoke a sour face and kate commented on the lovely flowers that were about to bloom. We cook so very differently, yes and we are not afraid to stand up for what we believe in when kitchening..but we also manage to have more fun just the three of us, than anyone I have ever met. The squabbles are manditory but most importantly, the food issues were resolved, laura's burns will heal, tummies were happy and I was promised part one of the Godfather trilogy as dessert.

They made me an offer I couldnt refuse?...

Next week we are doing Spaghetti. This is Sunday dinner.

1 Comments:

Blogger lauraface said...

Can we pull a sunday dinner again soon? ... we never did have our spagetti night?

... i'll bring the cannoli.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home