Sunday, August 27, 2006

the Zoo

After another tedious, yet successful roadtrip...(I am overexposed to ontario) I'm ready to start big girl life plan #1. But first,

I had to stop at Jungle Cat World Zoo! A mere 11 kms up from the 401 past Toronto. The sign's picture was intriguing, the title was magnificent, and the drive...well the drive was getting boring, we had to shake things up alittle.

This is what Kate and I saw, during our spontaneous 9 dollar admission getaway:

- Cats of every felis magnus..lions, panthers, tigers and pumas. Until yesterday, the only cat I have seen of this magntitude was the tomcat that frequented clayfields garbage piles and snuck into our slanty house. The Beasts were MAJESTIC!

- Goats everywhere. I have a special attachment to them because I have been referred to as a goat numerous times by a hot headed friend, who claimed that I was observant for a goat and if a tin can was thrown my way I would gobble it up in mere seconds. Needless to say, I took a picture of the many goats and forwarded it over to him.

- Monkeys, or gibbons as they were labelled, stuffed into cages. I took a liking to one particular primate who seems emo and introverted. I half expected him to pull an ipod out of his fur and start cranking death cab. His monkey friends seemed desperate to get him to join in their reindeer games but he was literally slapping them away with his aposable thumbs. As I called his name out (I think it was hector) he would look at me with saddened eyes and turn his back to me, like we were in a fight. This excited me even more, since I like a challenge and did everything I could to get him to open up to me and smile for the camera. It was unsuccessful.

- A constricter snake that was kept in the ladies bathroom. Kate peed her pants when she walked in and saw the 14 ft beast in the corner, then refusing to use the facilities...which was fine since she already went in her pants. I, however, loved it like I do all reptiles and toyed with the idea of touching it. But I didnt want to die at Jungle Cat World Zoo. What a sad, sad fate that would be..

After our quick tour I couldnt decide if I felt sad for the animals or not. Stuffed into cages, living 11 km off Canada's largest highway. Not free to roam like Simba or Nala. And I decided that I really did.

The lions didn't move from their pride rocks and sat a good 12 metres away from their loved ones. Hector was clearly battling depression in his monkey cage and the goats all looked anorexic. I came out of the tour with a strong desire to attack Jungle Cat World Zoo, and save the safari mammals. Making it as if it never existed.

But then, I wouldnt have been able to see all the animals in their cruel states and come to that epiphany, if Jungle Cat World Zoo haden't existed. I wouldnt have given it a moments thought, and that makes it hard to feel something, when you are trying to crusade for a situation that doesnt even exist. That is hard for me to wrap my head around so much so that I just about went cross-eyed.

Plus, I wouldnt have had the opportunity to take the wicked cool pictures I did. Zoo's rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home