Monday, October 30, 2006

jackettalk

My niece, Jordi, is the most interesting little human there is. She has recently turned 5 years old yet has the mental capacity of a 21 year old women. She is quizzical and intuitive. She constantly asks why things are the way they are. For example, Julia, her older sister barely acknowledges when their father doesnt come home from work on time. But Jordi will always ask, "where is daddy? he is working late? Wont he get hungry at work all alone?" This is NOT the type of question a 5 year old, self absorbed child should be asking. It is caring. It is full of concern. It suggests something about her inner beauty.

When someone keeps Jordi waiting and then after arriving late for the tuck in at bedtime then proceeds to comment on what a "stinker" she is (clearly in joke fashion; she isnt the smelly kid in class or anything) she won't get upset or angry. She will merely ask, "how can I possibly be a stinker when I waited for you so patiently?" To which her aunt (me) will laugh wildly and run over and hug her for being so damn succinct.

Halloween is tomorrow. Jordi is going as a fairy or "Fairweee" as Jordi would say since she has trouble with R's and Y's. And true to the October 31st fashion, it will be cold outside. Which inenvitably results in children everywhere wearing their jackets over their coolio costumes, much to their dismay. Once Jordi has shown me the tiny leotard and wings that encompass her costume my first thought is, "oh man. She isnt going to get away with that. She will be furious that she must wear a jacket." but instead of saying that I simply ask, "won't you be cold muffin?" and she responds with NO hesitation, "Probably. but I will just wear my jacket." This shocks me. Only logical parents and aunts who prefer warmth to cold would see this as a necessity for the costume. But this 5 yr old has already decided that it's okay. Her costume isn't ruined with the massive parka overtop.

"Your jacket? But then you wont see the costume. Does that bother you?" says I.
"Well" hesitates for a second, looks up, collects her thoughts, "Well, I dont want to be cold. I know what my costume is. And that is good enough."

I would have rather suffered frost bite to the extreme as a child than wear my jacket over my rad costume. I fought and screamed and cried with my mother every year over this losing battle. So when she confidently responded this way it surprised me to no end. And reaffirmed to me just how amazing my little niece is and how much I cant wait to get to know her when she grows up.

I am going as an emo kid for halloween and n0 longer have any qualms about wearing my jacket overtop of it, due to some recent inspiration.

2 Comments:

Blogger lauraface said...

that's the best little kid story i've ever heard.

i would like to meet this niece of yours. asap.

12:21 AM  
Blogger PS said...

isnt it? it reminded me of that sassy seinfeld dvd we love so much.

"I dont recall superman wearing a JACKET!"

jordi rocks.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home