Thursday, January 04, 2007

common response.

January is depressing. We all knew this. Every year we reluctantly anticipate its arrival after a sea of lights, presents and nog in December and every year I find myself depressed.

This year is by far the worst. Normally I would be gearing up for a brand spanking new semester with sassy profs and lines at the bookstore, but this year, life is carrying on like it did before January, before the BIG CHRISTMAS BREAK! And its a sour taste of whats to come for the rest of my grown-up life.

That, in itself, is depressing.

Coupled with disliking your job, missing your roomates to pee on, and feeling fiscally unsound, January is really just a whine factory for me as I burden everyone with my feelings of inadequacy.

Some of you give advice. Some of it is bad...most of it is funny.. But almost all of it is the same question: "that sucks scutt, but how is ______?" (fill in blank with love interest for the moment). It seems that since people know you are somewhat involved with a dance-challenged man everything is supposed to be okay. "Sure you are down and out, scutt but at least you have a special someone to keep you smiling amd sexually satisfied. I know thats what gets me through the day."

It is wrong that I never saw life that way? For me, being happy (in general or in January) isn't the cause of some guy who turns my crank. It isn't having someone close or feeling loved. Of course liking someone is a fantastic feeling and you wouldn't necessarily turn it down but for some reason, situational depression isnt allowed to be true depression when you are dating someone. You aren't really allowed to wallow in self pity when you have someone awesome in your life. AND that, that is morbidly unfair.

Well, not morbid. Morbid was the wrong word. Stupidly unfair? Why can't I be low for a bit because I am unhappy with me, and choices I made, regardless of whether I have a boyfriend or partner or donkey? Why does the only reassurance for me getting through this metaphorical valley from people is "at least I have him." Yes, he is a slice of why I feel happy. He does not make me happy and complete with ME though. No one should be your everything and no one should think that the "you're in a relationship! SMILE!" advice is sufficent. And yet, its the only thing I am hearing.

I hate January and I really hate whining. But mostly, I hate the fact that I am getting jipped on quality life advice and sympathy from friends because I am having sex.

You are all perverts!

4 Comments:

Blogger lauraface said...

hey, i gave you advice.

stop eating shit.

it improves quality of life 10 fold.

Trust me. I know.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Emobot said...

Boohoo! Atleast you have a job, a great education on which you can get a better job and someone in your life! Wait til your unemployeed, your education doesnt help you and lonely.

5:33 PM  
Blogger PS said...

I love the spam comment that offers me a free gift card for back to school, when my post just mentioned that I am depressed cause Im not in school...way to rub it in baiyunlongfakename!

Laura and emobot- good points. I feel less saucy since this write up.

2:04 PM  
Blogger J-ROD said...

Well...at least you have a special someone to keep you smiling and sexually satisfied.
Seriously, When it comes to advice on life improvement, I can offer little. But one thing I do know is that those tiny comforts (that a significant other can usually offer) will often help you through the rough patches, so long as you accept them.
Let's take me for example. While you're out searching to further your "career life", I'm out searching to further my "social life". And after feeling similarly lost, I have taken comfort from what you've shown me, that they aren't all wackos and nutjobs, and that there is still hope. That little comfort (something you unintentially gave me) has helped me through some hard times.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home